INDOOR POLLUTION CAUSES?
The causes of indoor air pollution are many. Some of the pollutants or irritants come from us, or our pets. Everyone's skin sheds, flakes off and becomes dust, which is a form of indoor air pollution. Pet dander, smoke, debris and dirt from out clothing as we come inside also contribute. Mold, Radon and Carbon Monoxide are also dangerous air pollutants.
Chemicals, including household types such as cleaning chemicals can be toxic. Chemicals must be used with care. Finding non toxic alternatives are always best and there are recipes for them all over the internet as well as affordable "green" chemicals available in stores.
People tend to keep all of their doors and windows closed. The air conditioner is normally running or the fans swirling away. The problem is, very seldom if at all, do people have all doors and windows opened to allow fresh air in, or to even have the filters and air con ducts cleaned. These are also a major source of the pollutants in the home and should be cleaned at least yearly. Although outdoor pollution isn't good either; indoor pollution is 10 times worse. Opening a couple of windows occasionally and letting in some air isn't going to hurt.
Other areas needing cleaning and attention are the attic, basements, store rooms, cabinets, bathrooms and other less ventilated areas for accumulating dusts, and breeding grounds for mold. At least yearly, these areas should be cleaned with bleach and dried. Mold can cause big health problems in people of all ages. Don't forget to clean behind the stove and the refrigerator because not only dust, but grease can accumulate there. Try to make out a schedule so that all areas of the house get cleaned regularly.
Getting an air purifier can work wonders with reducing the amount of air pollution in the home. There are types which can be used just for one room and also whole house purifiers. The several layers of filters in them do a remarkable job of picking up particles and pollutants. These filters must be cleaned often or changed regularly enough or they in turn will pollute the air indoors with their accumulated dusts and bacteria. You are almost guaranteed and will be to be able to tell the difference in your indoor air within 24 hours. They work that well!